Briar Hill Infant School
Welcome to Year 2
Mrs Jordan is our Year 2 Leader
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and your child into Year 2. Our half-termly newsletters will inform you of our topics and the areas we will be covering, as well as any additional information you need to know. Our curriculum is fun and exciting and carefully designed to encourage all children to work hard and try their best. Whether it's watching a world class sporting event, performing on stage or camping in the school hall, the children will be motivated to use all of their Building Learning Powers to make Year 2 memorable.
Our Year 2 Team
Miss Copley in BH7
Mrs Jordan, Mrs Foreman in BH8
Mrs Wylie, Miss Clark in BH9
During the year the children will be learning through a range of different topics. Lots of their learning will be hands on and fun! Each half term you will receive a letter explaining to you what the new topic will be about, please click here for the latest edition.
Check out the Gallery and Video pages on the website to see more of our clever learning!
Learning in Year 2 at Briar Hill School
The importance of asking questions while your child is reading.
When we hear children read in school alongside their phonic skills we also support their comprehension skills.
Below you will find a list of possible questions to help you with conversations about your child’s reading. They are not intended to be used all at once or every time you read with your child, just pick a few each time you read, using a range of questions over several sessions. Do use them at your own discretion and where they are appropriate.
Please see the video in our Video Resource Page on the Federation tab.
Questions to ask before you read
- Is the text fiction or non-fiction? How do you know that?
- Who is the author of the text?
- What could you do to find out what this book is about? (look at the blurb)
- Can you look at the pictures and predict what you think will happen in this book?
- What makes you think that?
- What characters do you think might be in our story?
- Do you think there will be a problem in this story? Why or why not?
- Does the topic/story make any links to you or your family? How?
Questions to ask during the reading
- What do you think will happen next?
- What can you tell me about the story so far?
- Does the story remind you of any other stories you’ve read?
- Can you predict how the story will end?
- How is this character feeling?
- Why do you think the character did _______?
- What would you have done if you were the character?
- How would you have felt if you were the character? (use different characters)
- As I read____________, it made me picture________ in my head. What pictures do you see in your head?
- As you read, what are you wondering about?
- Can you put what you’ve just read in your own words?
Questions to ask after reading
- Can you remember the title?
- In your opinion, was it a good title for this book? Why or why not?
- Were your predictions about the story correct?
- If there was a problem, did it get solved?
- What happened because of the problem?
- Have you read any books that had similar problems?
- Why do you think the author wrote this book?
- Have you read any other books by the same author?
- What is the most important point the author is trying to make in his writing?
- What was your favourite part of the story?
- If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
- Can you retell the story in order?
- If you were __________, how would you have felt?
- What do you think was the most interesting part in the story?
- Is there a character in the story like you? How are you alike?
- Why did you like this book?
Year 2 Animations 2018
Year 2 discover footprints!!
Parents SATS Information Evening
Please see here for the slides shown at the SATS Evening for parents. Also look at the hints and tips to support your child through this.
You can also use Education City to help your child, your child has their own logon. If you need a copy please speak to your child class teacher.
Have a look at the Maths Problem of the Day from White Rose, there is a link below.
Year 2 were lucky enough to go to St Margarets Junior school this morning to watch the scientist Tim Harrison from Bristol University Chemlab and his amazing show of Gases In The Air. It was amazing! They learnt many interesting facts and saw some brilliant chemical reactions.
Tim Harrison Scientist.mp4
This site gives some great advice on keeping safe online. Please have a look and read the appropriate information for the age of your child.
They took part in many activities throughout the day. In the morning they were measured for their uniform, weighed and checked for their age, some of them lied!!
They had fitness tests carrying a backpack full of kit, drill marched on the playground in the cold and rain. The children also had the chance to look at several artifacts we have in school and some even tried to play the bugle!
Most of all they had a great day and really enjoyed learning all about how hard it was in those days.
Coding Lesson 1 - converted with Clipchamp.mp4
Year 2 Using the Library
Some of our Super Year 2 Learning.
Your child has been accessing Purple Mash at school and so we would like to give them the opportunity to use this at home.
They have been given information on how to do this at home along with their logon and password needed.
As always we recommend you supervise them when they are on the computer, especially as this is an online product.
Please find below a copy of the letter that has gone home with instructions on it.