Briar Hill Infant School
Our Voice/School Ambassadors
Mrs Bassett is our 'Our Voice and Ambassadors' Leader
At Briar Hill we are always striving to improve teaching and learning for your children. One of the many ways we do this is to ensure we listen to the children's ideas and opinions about their learning and the school environment. We achieve this in part through 'Our Voice', which is a child friendly way of gathering the children's thoughts about their learning.
Children decide if they would like to be a representative and are then 'voted in' to represent their class in Reception, Year 2 and Year 2. The children work collaboratively to represent the 'voice' of the other children in their class lead any 'Our Voice' initiatives. Mrs Bassett facilitates the 'Our Voice' initiative, supports the leaders in their training, discussions and fortnightly meetings and is dedicated to ensuring 'Our Voice' is championed in school.
'Our Voice' roles and responsibilities include;
- supporting the staff and visitors in assemblies.
- helping to celebrate children's achievements in 'Proud Assemblies'.
- regular visits to other year groups to talk to the children about their 'voice'.
- being ambassadors for school when appropriate.
The 'Our Voice' leaders have gathered the children's voice about the following areas;
- what are your favourite areas of the classroom (such as role play, challenge area or the book corner) and why?
- what are your favourite lessons and why?
- what learning powers can you use when you get stuck?
- what learning are you proud of?
Our children have been able to voice their opinions and influence decisions made in school including; school website content, reinforcing school rules, supporting our new reception children into school, promoting healthy eating and the outdoor learning environment.
Ambassadors in each class are responsible for greeting visitors to our school, helping their peers in school, supporting the 'Our Voice' initiatives and being an outstanding representitive for Briar Hill Infant School.